Thursday 9 August 2012

Simple nom

On the weekend, I bought some lovely organic produce – a head of cauliflower, pumpkin, potatoes and some juicing apples (which I turned into stewed apples!).

On Tuesday, I realised I needed to cook with the cauli so I decided to experiment. I initially thought I would roast it and turn it into some kind of salad, but laziness got the better of me so I ended up making soup.

And it was delicious!!


LAZY CAULI PUMPKIN SOUP
1 onion, diced
Splash of safflower oil
1 head of cauliflower, chopped
1/2 Kent pumpkin, cubed (about 2 cups?)
6 cups water (or enough to almost cover the vegies)
1 tbsp. vegetable stock powder (I use Massell brand)
1 heaped tbsp. curry powder
3/4 tsp. chilli flakes
Cracked black pepper

Method
Saute onion in oil til soft and translucent
Add cauli, pumpkin, water, stock and curry powders.
Bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes (or until pumpkin is tender)
Blend until smooth (I used a handheld bamix)
Stir in chilli flakes and black pepper
Serve with toast and garnish with pepitas!



EDIT
Shortly after I wrote this post, Litha posted an excellent picture (although horrifying) on Facebook (or stalkbook as I like to call it!) from GetUp! visualising the new 'free range' chickens policy that the Australian Poultry Industries Association wants to introduce...




Thanks to Litha, I've copy and pasted what she wrote alongside the picture. If you give a damn, then please take 2 seconds and sign the petition.

The Australian Poultry Industries Association (APIA) represents the country’s biggest chicken meat producers. They are asking the ACCC to let them weaken the term ‘free range’. This is a great picture from Get-up that represents the standards as they are, and as they will be if this request from APIA gets through. In short, they will be able to legally label chickens 'free range' that in reality are restricted to an area the size of an A4 piece of paper. While it’s marginally better than factory farming, it’s far from what you’d expect from 'free range’, especially given the premium we pay for free range eggs.

So if you give any kind of crap about the millions of chickens that provide your eggs at all, you can use this link to send an easy pre-written email to the ACCC that will take 2 freakin seconds: http://www.getup.org.au/campaigns/animals/apia-free-range-submission/protect-free-range?t=dXNlcmlkPTY4MzA2NSxlbWFpbGlkPTkyMQ%3D%3D

OR to make a bigger impact change the wording to personalise, or send something via snail mail. Or call them directly to hassle. Then call your local MP and demand they raise the standards, ban cage eggs (and all factory farming while they’re at it). I know I spam the news feed with animal rights stuff but as a kid I had chickens, and they’re awesome animals, so they hold a special place in my heart. So I urge you to please take two seconds and send off an email. Or if you hate on Get Up, (cause I know some people take issue with them) check out Animals Australia to get more details it http://www.animalsaustralia.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment