Wednesday 19 September 2012

Pomodoro sauce


A couple of weeks ago, I mentioned my love for spaghetti. I adore the stuff. But I have to admit something. I mainly use bottled sauce.

**Hangs head in shame**

I know, I know. Bottled sauce is high in oil, sodium and fat and is generally really not good for you… But I’m a sauce snob, and I had found a delicious authentic pasta sauce* that I’ve been loyal to for the past 5 or so years. And it’s so convenient.

Well I decided last night that I had all the ingredients to make my own pasta sauce, so away I went. And dang it, it is delicious!! I'm hanging out to have some tonight for my dinner. GET IN MAH BELLY!!
 

POMODORO SAUCE A LA ESS MICK

Ingredients
A splash of olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
4 cloves garlic
3/4 cup of full-bodied red wine
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 jar passata
2 x 400g tin of diced tomatoes
1 bunch basil, roughly torn

Method
On a gentle heat, stir together the oil, onion, carrot and celery and let it gently cook for 10-15 minutes until the onion is soft and starting to turn brown
Stir in garlic, and let sit for a minute or two.
Add the wine, and let that simmer for a couple of minutes. Add red wine vinegar, passata and tomatoes, and stir to combine. Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce to a simmer.
Simmer sauce for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid sauce sticking on the bottom.
About 5 minutes before the end, stir through the torn basil and season with salt & pepper as needed.



I also added some wilted kale, and also half a cup of cannellini & kidney beans are they all needed to be used.

*In case you’re wondering, it’s the Saclá cherry tomato arrabiata. And I admit I will buy more of it for when I CBF!!

No comments:

Post a Comment