Tuesday 11 September 2012

11 years on


After all these years, September 11 is still so raw. No matter how many times I’ve seen that footage of the plane flying into the building, it makes my blood run cold, and my stomach sink.

I remember mum popping into my bedroom, shortly after I’d gone to bed, telling me a plane had hit a building in New York. I pictured a little light plane having clipped the edge or something. Confused, I watched some footage and thought it was a tragic accident. Five minutes later, we watched as the second plane horrifically slammed into the second tower. The next 3-4 hours were a blur, but I do recall sitting on the edge of the couch, stunned, terrified, shocked.

I was near the end of year 12 that year, and I remember waking up and thinking it was some crazy, bad dream but listening to the radio and seeing the morning news cemented it in as reality. Walking into school that morning, there was a strange sober quiet, everyone walking around in a state of shock and disbelief.

Today, go tell those around you that you love them. Give them a hug, bake them a cake, make their bed, pick a flower – do something to let them know you care.

No comments:

Post a Comment